Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The store - one of our homes in Usk...


I've really encouraged (harassed) my siblings to contribute stories of their memories and it has worked!  I'm getting stories.......here's one from my Bruthie - 

We use to live on the top floor.(of the store) In the 48 flood, we tied the boat to the porch roof and walked in the window. I remember dad cutting wood and he came up the stairs and took off his boot and it was full of blood. He cut his foot with the axe.  (below - the top picture is of the store and the picture below is of the hotel in Usk)


Here is a picture of a poster from 1940 - there was a dance hall above the store - not sure how it fit in with the living quarters.......... The woman on the top right hand corner 'Alice', is my father's mother and the guy on the left is 'Lee' - Grandpa Lee - her 4th husband......  More to come on grandma and her 5 husbands later........


 Here's a better picture of the store in Usk.  It was originally Grandpa Lee's and then mother and father ran it after he died.  So, when I think about it - probably it didn't have a dance hall in it when we lived there....





Cheerio,

No comments:

Post a Comment