Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Beginning......Mother's side....

Ok -  here goes............

I've decided to write down some of my family history so I'll begin by recording who my grandmother and grandfather were.  I'm going to start with my mother's side of the family.  Later I'll have stuff about father's side and I'll title something with 'father' in it so everyone will know it's the other side of the family.

My Grandmother, Elizabeth McAlpine Millar, was born in Musselburgh, Scotland, July 13, 1878
My Grandfather, Joseph McLaren, was born in Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland, February 8, 1878. 

My grandmother and grandfather came to Canada on the same ship - I think around 1906 - and were married in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1909. 

I don't know how to do 'trees' in this so I'm just going to list children etc and hope it is understandable.

Joseph McLaren and Elizabeth Millar McLaren had three daughters:

Fanny Sawers McLaren: Born July 10, 1910 in Moyie, BC; died July 1, 1977
Married:  Peter Holm
Children:  Beda:
                 Valerie: December 4, 1946 (?)

Margaret Hamilton McLaren:  Born November 28, 1913 in Moyie, BC; died December 10, 2007
Married:  James Edward O'Brien
Children:  James Daniel:  September 19, 1938
                 Corinne Linda-Margaret: May 18, 1940
                  Leonard Marvin:  May 31, 1941
                 Sharone Elizabeth:  November 9, 1945

Sophia MacDonald McLaren:  Born June 4, 1915 in Rossland, BC; died July 8, 1980
Married:  Charles (Chuck) Royce
Children:  Patricia - 1946 (?)
                 Terrence (Terry)

Next post will be the McLaren Family History, written by my mother..........




                 



2 comments:

  1. I couldn't find where else to comment so I'll do it here. I hope you are still checking this site!

    I have been so excited to read all of your stories. My grandmother was Helen Bell, nee Alger! My mom grew up in Usk with my Nan and Pop,Helen and Joe Bell. My mom and uncle were adopted by the Bells around 1928 and were raised by them until they grew up and left Usk around 1940 to 1943 or so. We used to go visit my grandparents almost every summer from about 1958 to 1968. My mom's name was Marion Bell-Carlson and my uncle was Edward (Eddie) Carlson.

    I remember Nan and Pop visited us in Nanaimo one year when I was around 10 or so, so that would have been around 1960. We all drove down to Victoria to visit "Aunt Ivy". All I can remember of that is a lovely Christmas-light filled house and everyone being happy. I also remember saying, as we passed the Empress, that we should stop in for a mid-night snack. All the adults thought that was a hilarious comment and I couldn't figure out what was so funny! :)

    Thank you for bringing up so many good memories! I recall other names, like Margaret and Jim O'Brien but not sure if I met them. Although I think I did but when I was very young. I was called Dolly rather than Denise back then so elderly relatives may remember something. I also remember a Lorraine Branch,and Jim?, who was a relative on Nan's side who lived in Nanaimo as well, although I don't think Mom kept in touch with them, as far as I know.

    Pop died of a heart attack when visiting us at our house in Nanaimo. We were very sad to lose him, of course, but happy that he died with family rather than at home, by himself, in Usk. Nan had died several years before while she and Pop were hiking along the Skeena, exactly where and when she would have wanted to go. All that was left were Pop and his little Jack Russell Terrier, Spot, who had been put down while Pop was away visiting. So, he would have been going home to an empty house. I think he chose to die rather than face that.

    I was happy to see my Aunt Bessie and Uncle Ralph mentioned. I remember flying up to Queen's Cove to stay with them for a summer when I was about 5 or 6. I enjoyed going to the dock, getting bait from the fishermen and fishing for bullheads and shiners from the dock. I also remember getting the sad news when Aunt Bessie had died in a gasoline explosion on their fishing boat.

    This has gotten a little disjointed as I've gone back and forth inserting this and that memory so it probably didn't flow well when you were reading it! Sorry about that! :)

    I just hope you're still reading your comments and this gets to you.

    Thanks for the memories,
    Denise

    P.S. If you are on Facebook you can "friend" me, if you like. My e-mail address is dee_fornika@yahoo.ca if you would like contact other than FB.

    ReplyDelete