Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Grandparents' official birth records.....

Well, this is really interesting- in the history mother wrote, she notes her father, my grandfather, Joseph McLaren, was born on February 8, 1878.  Now, when I read that, I seemed to remember that Grandma was older than Grandpa - and if he was born in February, 1878 and she in July, 1878, that wouldn't be the case.

So, a couple of weeks ago, while messaging on Facebook with Stefan's cousin, she gave me a website where Scottish births can be found.  I paid 7 pounds and joined and got 30 credits.  It takes 6 credits to look up someone and view their birth record.  Today I thought I'd find Grandpa's.  I searched from 1877 to 1882, in Fifeshire and didn't come up with Grandpa but did see Barney Hamilton McLaren - who I knew must be Grandpa's brother.  I knew this because my mother's middle name was Hamilton.  We all knew about Uncle Barney but always thought it was a nickname - from Bernard.  Nope - not so.  Anyway, back I went and researched and, sure enough, found a Joseph but with the last name Maclaren!  (an 'a' and no capital 'L')  I paid the extra credits to actually view the register (it's one credit for the initial search and then 5 to view the record) and, sure enough..... February 8th - it's Grandpa!  I wonder if I can paste the birth records in here:  Nope, didn't work.  I'll try something else...........didn't work - I'm sending it to Zolynne to see if she can doctor it so I can place it here.

Well, what can I tell you - that kid of ours is a genius!  



So - Grandpa was born February 8, 1880, 11:30 p.m., in Moonzie, Fifeshire, Scotland.  His father's name was also Joseph and his mother's name was Margaret - her maiden name was Hamilton.  My mother's name was Margaret Hamilton McLaren.  My great-grandfather and great-grandmother were married January 20, 1872 in Ceres, Scotland........about 2 miles from Cupar, which is where mother always said her dad was born.  His birthplace, Moonzie, is about 6 miles or so from Cupar.  Neither of Grandpa's parents could write - both places are marked with an 'X'.  Great-Grandfather's work was 'farm servant'. 

My grandmother, Elizabeth Millar (McLaren) was born July 13, 1878 at Cowdenfoot, Dalkeith, Scotland at 1:15 a.m.  Her father, Alexander Millar was a coal miner and signed the birth register. Her mother's name was Fanny Sauers (Millar) and there is no indication that she did or didn't sign the register.  My great-grandparents were married May 12, 1876 in Dalkeith, Scotland.



I am leaving the history that mother wrote, as she wrote it........even though the birth places were incorrect.  

So, that's it for today.

cheerio,




No comments:

Post a Comment