Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Day the Gun Went Off.....

(I remember hearing this story many times.  Mother knew the names of the couple on their honeymoon but said she didn't want to put it in the written version as she didn't think it was right to use names........the couple were from Florida so I'm not sure why she worried about it, but she did.  And  now I cannot remember the names so can't add them)

 
The Day the Gun Went Off

It was about 1925 and I was staying at Kalum Lake with my Dad.  He worked for the Kitsumgallum Timber Co as a watchman in the summer.

One day we were over at the hotel, owned by Mr and Mrs Dix, when an American couple came in from a hunting trip and went up to their room.  (they were on their honeymoon, I can remember Mother telling me that)  Not long after, we heard a loud bang and something went past us and into the floor.  We found out later that the man thought he'd emptied his gun and pulled the trigger only to find that there had still been a shell in the chamber.  When the hotel was dismantled in the 1980s, and  moved to Terrace to be part of Heritage Park Museum, the spent bullet was found under the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment